We are often posed the question, "How can I clean off the protective coating on my machine?" and "How can I clean my machine and prevent and remove rust?"
The unpainted surfaces of your machine are coated with a heavy-duty rust preventative that prevents corrosion during shipment and storage. This rust preventative works extremely well, but it will take a little time to clean. Be patient and do a thorough job cleaning your machine. The time you spend doing this now will give you a better appreciation for the proper care of your machine's unpainted surfaces.
There are many ways to remove this rust preventative, but the following steps work well in a wide variety of situations. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions with any cleaning product you use and make sure you work in a well-ventilated area to minimize exposure to toxic fumes.
Before cleaning, gather the following
- Disposable rags
- Cleaner/degreaser (WD•40 works well)
- Safety glasses & disposable gloves
- Plastic paint scraper (optional)
Basic steps for removing rust preventative:
- Put on safety glasses.
- Coat the rust preventative with a liberal amount of cleaner/degreaser, then let it soak for 5–10 minutes.
- Wipe off the surfaces.
- If your cleaner/degreaser is effective, the rust preventative will wipe off easily.
- If you have a plastic paint scraper, scrape off as much as you can first, then wipe off the rest with the rag.
- Repeat Steps 2–3 as necessary until clean, then coat all unpainted surfaces with a quality metal protectant to prevent rust
Basic instructions for removing and preventing rust:
Rust can often be easily removed by some sort of spray oil and a Scotch-Brite pad (scuff pad). Rust that forms should only be surface rust, which can easily be removed. To prevent rust on bare metal surfaces and to make work slide easily, products like "Slip It" or Talc powder or Johnson's Paste Wax can be used as well. Talc powder and John's Paste Wax can usually be found at your local hardware store.
We also recommend you consult your manual for additional instructions. Our machines have a detailed instructional designed to assist you in this process. Please feel free to reach out to us HERE for additional assistance.